In this blog we document the adverse effects that living within meth-contaminated housing can have on individuals. Here we share stories of Yvonne Lacey OAM and her husband Michael and their struggles, health impacts and the shortcomings of federal legislation that is leaving innocent people at risk. In a series of short articles Yvonne will take you through how they discovered the contamination, what effect it has had on their lives and what they have discovered the government and real estate institutes are and are not doing to protect innocent people. Read them in order from 1 onwards to get the full story.
The answer is gut wrenching grief that tears at the soul and shatters the heart into a million pieces and you wonder if it will ever heal again. Whilst they are merely possessions and many do not cause any pain to dispose of them, some are very precious, like the woodwork project your son did that you have carried and treasured for thirty five years, something that can never be replaced, and something you can’t just go out and buy a new one.
This was the start of a very steep and at times traumatic and discouraging learning curve. Finding help and advice was really hard and it is one of the reasons we are speaking up now and telling our story in the hope that other people won’t have to tread quite the same path as we did but can take a short cut to obtaining good, clear and concise advice.
Any property can be contaminated and this is precisely how we fell into the trap. The unit looked clean, we knew the agent and trusted them, the owner was a local who lived nearby, what could possibly go wrong? We were soon to find out.
My husband, Michael and I discovered we were living in a Methamphetamine (ICE) contaminated home in an environment of ICE residue. Whilst everyone around us celebrated the holiday season we were left grappling with the enormity of the position we found ourselves in.